Graduate and Professional Students


Student Accessibility Services provides accommodations to students across the different graduate and professional programs. Because each degree program and school tend to have different fundamental requirements and obligations, accommodations tend to require a more nuanced approach to removing barriers to access. This may be in the classroom during coursework, in a lab or research appointments, during teaching responsibilities, while on clinical rotations, and within law school programs.


Academic Accommodations

Graduate and professional student exams are not proctored by SAS. The method of notifying faculty and administrators is highly variable between schools and programs. The relevant information for your program will be reviewed when you meet with SAS.

Requesting Accommodations

To request accommodations, students must make a request with SAS, which involves:

  • Complete the Accommodation Request form. Please allow 3 business days from submission for outreach from a SAS staff member.
  • Provide supporting documentation (see Documentation Guidelines).
  • Meet with a SAS staff member to discuss your request and current situation, and to develop a plan for moving forward.

Please view the Housing page for specific information about housing accommodations.

A student may request accommodation and submit documentation to SAS even though a specific accommodation request is not anticipated at the time of requesting accommodation.

Documentation provided to SAS is kept confidential. Information submitted directly to SAS will not become part of a student’s permanent record at Yale.

Students who are unsure about their eligibility for assistance should complete the Accomodation Request form and meet with SAS staff to discuss their situation.

Need to Renew Your Accommodations

All students previously approved for accommodations should submit an Accommodation Renewal Request every semester. Please allow three business days from submission to receive an updated accommodation letter, if applicable.

 *Generally, students should renew academic accommodations when course schedules seal.

Requesting additional accommodations: If you are already approved for accommodations but want to request additional accommodations, view our Supplemental Accommodations Guide.

Other Accommodations

Housing Accommodations

Dining Accommodations (Yale College)

Parking and Transportion Accommodations


Report any issues to


Each graduate program and professional school varies in how exam accommodations are arranged and administered. Please work with SAS staff to arrange. Students must be registered with SAS and approved to receive exam accommodations.


You must submit your completed request (Housing Form included) before completing the graduate housing application. Graduate housing is not guaranteed for any student. Please see Graduate Student Housing for more information. First-year graduate students will not be expected to have a meeting with SAS as they are not yet on-campus.

Writing Resources

Graduate and professional students have access to writing resources through the Graduate Writing Laboratory in the Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning. They offer accommodations to all students.